01 June 2016

Turkish Wine of the Week - Likya 2012 Podalia

Likya's Podalia has become my go-to bottle when I take people to Dai Pera - which is my go-to restaurant. It's a nice medium bodied wine that suits just about any palate and isn't challenging for people who don't have a lot of wine experience. The Podalia is a Kalecik Karası-Malbec blend (75TL from La Cave) which has the added benefit of being both exotic for people who don't know Turkish wines but also comfortingly familiar.


The nose is fascinating...cotton candy and tobacco all swirled together with raspberry undertones. Sounds a little weird but not uncommon for these wines. Kalecik Karası is known for having cotton candy scents in the nose. On the palate the wine is low on tannins but there's a lively level of acid, and has a nice, medium-length finish that makes my mouth water like I've had something savory. It tastes like savory red berries.


Unfortunately the Podalia did not pair well with my chosen foods, it really overpowered my port salut and did not like the tartness of the green apples. Even though it's a medium bodied wine it's got some big flavors and needs stronger flavored foods (like the fantastic mezzes at Dai Pera. So pair this with garlic, tomato, spicy peppers and stronger cheeses like Parmesan.


Even Sherlock is getting into the tasting! Although really she probably just wanted the cheese. Dairy products are not safe around her if left unattended.

I am liking Likya more and more with every bottle I have so I think we're going to be trying a lot more of these in the coming months!

No comments: