11 May 2016

Turkish Wine of the Week - Sevilen 2012 R

Over the summer I reviewed Sevilen's W, a Sauvignon Blanc, which E, M, and I all really enjoyed so when I saw the R at Carrefour I thought we had to try it. Sadly I did not like it nearly as much as I did the W.

The W is a blend of Cabernet Franc, Merlot, and Petit Verdot and I wonder if part of why I didn't like this one could be attributed to that blend. I love Petit Verdot but I do not love Merlot (which we know) and it's a rare that I find a Cabernet Franc that I like. My tastes aside though neither E nor M were super impressed with this one either.


Ruby red to rim with a nose of blueberry, cherry, spice, and roses it started out on a promising foot. However the low tannins and an improperly balanced high level of acid were a let down that made the R rather disappointing.


It wasn't terrible and certainly went better with food than it was on its own. However for 40TL there are nicer wines out there. For a few extra TL you can get Gali's gorgeous Bordeaux blend or Arda's lovely, soft Cabernet Sauvignon.

No comments: