18 May 2016

Turkish Wine of the Week - Kayra Buzbağ Reserve 2012 Öküzgözü Boğazkere

Now that my neighbor has turned me on to wines made in Elazığ I'm more and more on the look out for them. Kayra, as mentioned previously, is one of the largest makers in that region and M, who really just likes to say "Öküzgözü" picked up this bottle of Kayra Buzbağ Reserve 2012 Öküzgözü Boğazkere not too long ago.

This dark, plummy red colored wine has definitely benefited from the 24 months it spent in French oak which is obvious in the clove, cardamom, and leather scents that I got from the nose. Combined with the plum, black mulberry, and dried fruit aromas the Kayra Buzbağ Reserve 2012 Öküzgözü Boğazkere had a very promising start. 


Some nice tannins in the mouth from the Boğazkere grapes were well-matched with a medium acid, however there was only a very slight finish. However slight, the finish had a flavor profile all of its own with hints of toast, toffee, and maybe walnuts? More legacies of its oaking.

As I'm describing it I feel a little romantic and thinking, "Wow! This was amazing! Toast! Toffee! Cardamom!" The reality was less enticing. It was nice, I'm not hating on this one, but it wasn't as fabulous as I make it sound. A solid food wine it compliments meat and grilled food well but is not something I would choose for just drinking. So far my experience with Kayra's wines has me preferring the Vintage and Versus labels.

No comments: