09 December 2015

Turkish Wine of the Week - Diren 2009 Les Muses

As sometimes happens when I'm not sure which new wine to buy, I purchased the Diren Les Muses based on how pretty the label is. Sometimes that works out, sometimes it doesn't. I think this time it was a bit of a half win.

Diren's 2009 Les Muses is a Cabernet Sauvignon with a nice ruby red color. On the nose I got, of all things, chocolate covered cherries. While at first it seemed a little weird it really isn't when you think that Cabernet Sauvignon is known for its black cherry and dark berry aromas and that cocoa nib aromas can result from the oaking. It's the first time I've smelled chocolate that strong in a wine though.

On the palate I got a fair amount of oak, the black cherries again, maybe a little jam? I don't know what's triggering the sweet in my nose and mouth but there's something there. Maybe it's the tobacco? Good tannins just on this side of chewy, medium high acid, and a long finish round out this big wine. 



Goes well with the truffled almonds, natch. Does not pair well with Manchego. Beautiful with green apples, pork sausage, and truffle cheddar (as a combo but I'm sure individually as well-although perhaps not the apple)

I think I like it. But, as with a lot of reds I've had here, I like it with food but would not choose to drink it on its own.

No comments: