23 September 2015

Turkish Wine of the Week - Yanık Ülke 2014 Muscat

I've been shopping a lot recently at Senus which is home to the largest collection of Yanık Ülke wines I've soon. In fact for a while it was the only place I saw any wines by this maker (they've been popping up now at La Cave as well).

Yanık Ülke, which hasn't been winning any awards from me yet, has the dubious honor of producing a Muscat that is both the most expensive (50TL) Muscat I've had here...and the worst.

If the wine were just the nose then it would have been a fair (although still not particularly good) wine. The aromas of apple, honey, and flowers were promising. Unfortunately the nose lied. Lied, lied, lied. While the aromas came through on the palate, if faintly, so too did its thinness and astringency. There was none of the beautiful orange blossom that made me fall in love with Turkish Muscats. It was also a great deal drier than I like a Muscat.



I like discovering new wines but this one was so not worth the price of admission. From now on when I want a Muscat I will stick to the Ancyra or Leonas.

On the good new side, I decided it was time to finally get a wine rack. In the past I only ever had one or two wines on hand at any one time. However with the support of a regular paycheck and the plummeting Lira I have built a fair collection. A collection which has been hanging out in boxes and bags on my floor. Not cool.


So following our aquarium trip, M and I went to Ikea where I got two of their nine-bottle racks. And then proceeded to swear and yell a lot when assembling them. You know, like you do with everything from Ikea that requires assembly. It was worth it though! Look how much better this is!


Now I just have to figure out an organizational structure for the eight-nine bottles in the refrigerator.

No comments: