19 August 2015

Turkish Wine of the Week - Chamlija 2012 Viognier-Narince

I'm still excited over having found Turkish Viognier. There are truly very few dry white wines I can even tolerate let alone like and I thought Viognier was lost to me when I left the DC metro area. I won't give Virginia props for much but they grow an outstanding Viognier.

So, it seems, does Chamlija which creates a bottle worth 90-something TL (from Sensus).  We've already swooned over the straight up Viognier so now it's time to talk about the Viognier-Narince blend.


Pale yellow in color, the nose is a little on the flat side (often typical with Viognier) but there are soft notes of floral, citrus, and maybe a little grass?

A lingering finish full of flavor including peaches, citrus, white flowers, and maybe a little tropical something make this a very nice wine for sipping on its own or pairing with food (both Viognier and Narince pair well with spicy food). This is a medium bodied wine without a lot of pronounced acid but the textures and flavors all combine to create a very even and enjoyable drinking experience.

Between this blend and the earlier-reviewed Viognier I prefer the Viognier...but this wine is winning awards for a reason and you should check it out.

No comments: