29 July 2015

Turkish Wine of the Week - Chamlija 2012 Viognier

I went to Sensus wine bar a number of weeks ago and had a little bit of a shopping spree. Among the spoils of my trip was a Turkish Viognier. A Turkish Viognier!! I did not know that Turkey made Viognier and I was so freaking excited to see it I didn't even flinch at the 95TL price tag.

If you're going to spend 95TL on a bottle of wine though; this one is worth it.


Golden straw colored with an aromatic floral, peach, and apple nose; I must admit that I just sat with the nose for a little while. Sometimes the nose ends up being so much more enjoyable than the actual wine and I was worried that I would be disappointed by the taste after I'd worked myself into such a state of Viognier having excitement.

Happily I was not disappointed. My tasting notes read: "Ooooooo". Buttery with touches of honey, peach, apple, and apricot. Fresh and polished with medium acid, the Chamlija Viognier was a truly enjoyable drinking experience. One of the things I like about Viogniers is I find that, while they are dry wines, they have something of a late harvest flavor but without the cloying sweetness one often finds in late harvests.

Chamlija Viognier, we will meet again!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for your nice comments. 2013 vintage received the highest score given by Markus del Monego, MW,MS and World Champion Sommelier. We hope you would enjoy also this great vintage. You can find it in Akmerkez Shopping Mall Makro Supermarket Fine Wine Section.
Chamlija Wines