03 June 2015

Turkish Wine of the Week - Urla Vourla 2011

Urla is a new winery to me, I haven't noticed this one before so when I saw the 2011 Vourla at Comedus (59TL) I had to get it. I'm always on the lookout for a new wine maker here.

A nice solid red color gave way to a truly lovely nose filled with dark fruits and berries.


In the mouth this blend of Boğazkere, Merlot, Syrah, and Cabernet Sauvignon was pretty bold. The Vourla has a large, dense flavor supported by velvety tannins followed by a long finish. The one slightly off note to the body was that it was oddly thick. Which was really rather off-putting.

On the attack it's like a mouth full of berries, big, fruity, and a little jammy which is something to which I never object. However...there always has to be a however...the finish is clearly alcoholic. Both M and I really liked the wine overall, as long as we swallowed quickly. The longer we held it in our mouths the more obvious the burn.


While I completely plan to scare up more wines by Urla I do have to question their judgement a little. I know China is trying to build its wine industry but given its history of low quality wines, do we really think an award from them is something to brag about? Really?

No comments: