01 January 2015

Miracle on 34th Street and Raspberry Hot Chocolate

As we go into January and winter rears its ugly head here in Istanbul, this hot chocolate experiment seems to be an even better idea than I thought it would be and will likely continue long past Twelfth Night*. It's cold, windy, wet, and miserable here. And my apartment, which is totally fine nine months of the year, is basically an uninsulated marble and cement box with drafty windows and doors.


Miracle on 34th Street, the remake (because Dylan McDermott) is usually one of the first Christmas movies I watch during the season. For no other reason than that the movie begins with a Thanksgiving parade so it always seems like a nice segue. And so I did this year but I bust it out again for this. It's no hardship (again because Dylan McDermott). What is a hardship though is that my Carrefour has recently renovated and it seems to no longer stock a lot of things I used to go there specifically to buy; like frozen raspberries. My hot chocolate plans took a little stumble because of this so I had to get a little creative. Incidentally the lack of frozen raspberries has also thrown off my oatmeal game.


It wasn't bad really. It was interesting to say the least. However I think I will hunt down some raspberry flavored chocolate or bite the bullet and give up one of my arms to pay for some Chambourd before I try this again.

Recipe:
  • 1 Cup milk
  • 1/4 Cup heavy cream
  • 2-3 Tablespoons raspberry (or what you will*) jam
  • 55-ish grams dark chocolate, chopped
  1. Whisk jam into milk and cream.
  2. Heat milk mixture to hot but not boiling.
  3. Whisk in chopped chocolate.
  4. Enjoy!
*Haha, see what I did there?

No comments: