29 September 2014

Turkish Wine of the Week - Suvla Grenache Noir

Apparently I can post a wine blog while on safari but not the day I get back from one. To be fair, by the time I made it home I'd been awake for over 36 hours and had just spent 15 hours traveling so I think I get a pass for skipping a week!

I finally found the Suvla store in Cihangir which is both good and bad. Good because the store carries all of Suvla's wines (and a number of other nummy items); bad because I don't have a steady income and Suvla wines are not inexpensive; but that's not going to stop me from buying them!

So let's start with the description on the bottle: "Suvla Grenache Noir 2013 has the color of bright ruby red with purple nuances. The nose is an explosion of fruity and spicy aromas. The vibrating hints of ripe black cherry, mulberry, fig and blackberry are woven into a background of notes of black pepper, olive, thyme, and oregano. The well-balance body has a supple and elegant structure and exhibits a rich fragrance, blooming in the palate with fruity and spicy hints."


I really, really wanted to like this one. For one thing; 'Grenache Noir' is a super sexy name. "Is that Merlot you're drinking? Tsch. Oh me? I'm drinking Grenache Noir. And Humphrey Bogart is coming over later."

Also, explosion of fruity aromas? Check. The glass was sitting at the opposite end of my, admittedly small, table and I could still smell it. For me though, it fell apart after the nose. I tried to place what I was tasting: black pepper? oregano? mulberry? blackberry? In the end though, I couldn't taste the fruit for the herbs and that just did not flip my Twinkie, as a good friend of mine says. My neighbor had some and she liked it though.

At only 40-something TL a bottle, the Grenache Noir is one of Suvla's more affordable wines which means I will probably try it again. Who knows, maybe a better food combination will make it come alive for me. Here's to hoping because I still really want to like this one!

No comments: