18 August 2014

Turkish Wine of the Week - Kavaklidere Sultaniye

Also it's my birthday!!

I took a shot on this one and picked it up at Carrefour a few weeks ago. I'd been avoiding it because it seemed somehow, well frankly it looked like it wasn't going to be a winner. Was I wrong! Unlike the Pamukkale Sultaniye I reviewed ages ago, this is not a straight up dry white but a semi sweet, and it was lovely.


The super pale lemony yellow color and floral and hay notes in the nose were promising. Sultaniyes are known for a flavor profile that includes: asparagus, pear, pineapple, mango, floral, lemon, golden and green apples, and hay. The floral was really in my face but I was also clearly tasting the pineapple, hay, and green apple. And while this is a semi-sweet; it really is just semi. There's nothing desserty or overwhelmingly saccharine about it at all. It also went really well with the walnut/grape/dried cranberry chicken salad I made. The pairing really seemed to bring out the mango in the wine which I thought was a bit odd.


Which considering the cake I bought for my birthday was a fail was a bit of a disappointment. I really wanted the 'very chocolate' ice cream cake from Ozsut but both of the Istiklal locations were out. I settled for a Rokoko (layers of vanilla and chocolate) ice cream cake from another cafe but it was not happiness. Not sure if it was too old or just bad but not even home made hot fudge managed to save it.


Anywho, a winning new, reasonably priced, not dry white wine find was enough of a birthday win! The Kavaklidere semi-sweet (yarı tatlı) is defintely going to be a repeat offender in my apartment!

No comments: