31 January 2014

Saksuma...or Possibly Imam Beydeli

If you look up this recipe online it's called 'saksuma' but most menus I've seen list it as 'imam beydeli' (which the internets say is actually stuffed aubergine and frankly, if I'm going to faint over anything-imam beydeli means 'the imam fainted'-it's going to be sauteed lamb stuffed in an eggplant). But whatever it is, it's yummy and you should make it.

 

Saksuma, or whatever it's called, is a pretty standard appetizer menu item in Turkey. It's served cold (or room temp) and usually with bread but is good to just eat up too. I also like to eat it with a salty beyaz or goat cheese.


 

And bonus, it's really easy to make. The only issue I had with it is that I have only one small sauce pan and I needed to make a big batch of it.


What you need:
-1 aubergine
-1 large cooking onion
-1 red pepper
-3 tomatoes
-couple bulbs of garlic
-tomato paste
-salt
-olive oil

  • First alternately peel the aubergine, chop it in medium sized chunks, then soak it for about 30 minutes in salt water. While that's soaking, rough chop the remaining veg. 
  • Drain, rinse, then pat dry the aubergine chunks. Heat olive oil and brown the aubergine on both sides.
  • Add the garlic, onion, and red pepper (and a little more olive oil if need be) and saute for like 2 minutes...kind of just long enough that you think it's all melded a bit.
  • Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, and salt and saute on low for maybe 5-ish minutes. I like the onions and red peppers to retain a bit of texture so I cook just until they're tender. 
I've never eaten it hot because it's supposed to be served chilled but I imagine it would taste just fine warm.

This amount makes enough to be an appetizer (especially if served with bread and/or cheese) for 2-4 people or a side dish for 2.Now you make it :)


No comments: