04 July 2012

Quesadilla Madness

Thanks to my recent trip to Mexico I've become mildly obsessed with making quesadillas. I love quesadillas and so I'm not sure why I've never bothered to make them at home. They're super simple and you can put pretty much anything you want in them so why wouldn't I be making these all the time?

I started simple with whatever was in the refrigerator...which for me was left over romano and extra sharp white cheddar cheeses, red onions, and chicken.

First start with a lot of butter. With all the cheese there's no way this is going to be healthy anyway so why bother to cut back on the butter?


Once the butter is all melty add the onions and keep the heat medium to low. I always start my onions first to give them plenty of time to slowly cook down and caramelize a little.


Next...spices for the chicken!! I went simple and pulled out the kosher salt, black pepper, garlic, cayanne, crushed red pepper, and thyme. Not sure why the thyme really but it was there on my spice shelf looking all neglected.


I seasoned both sides of the chicken and put the fillets under the broiler for about five minutes per side.


While they were broiling I got to work slicing the cheddar and grating the romano. Lots and lots of romano.


Then I got hungry and impatient and this is about as brown as I let the onions gets.


Little more butter in the pan and tortilla number one went down. Then I laid on the cheddar, the romano , the onions, and the chicken I'd sliced. On top of that went a little more romano and the second tortilla.


I covered the pan to help the cheese melt and waited 5-7 minutes before flipping it over. The flipping was kind of a mess and I lost some of the goodness in the flip so I did some emergency reconstruction. It turned out ok though. After letting it cook another 5-ish minutes I slipped it out of the pan, cut in quarters, and finished it off with some chipotle mayo.


And this is pretty much what I've been eating for the last two weeks :)

No comments: