11 April 2010

Chillin' with my Peeps

A few weeks before Easter, Andrea and I made took a trip down to the National Harbor for a night out. It seemed to be a comedy of errors at first, because each plan we made fell apart as we tried to do it. First, it was a concert, but it was sold out when we tried to get tickets. Then, we thought we’d grab dinner at a piano bar at the Harbor, only to find out that you had to have a reservation in order to get a table. Then, as we tried nearly every other restaurant, the wait was so long it was hardly worth it.

We wandered around for a while looking for somewhere to go, or to eat. We passed by the statue called, The Awakening, and I remembered how many fun days I spent studying next to it when it was located at Hains Point in DC. They’ve since moved it to the National Harbor, and as far as I’m concerned, it doesn’t look nearly as good there. It was too dark for my pictures to come out, so you’ll have to follow the link to see that I’m right.

After we saw the statue there, we turned and saw a shining beacon of springtime happiness dropped right behind us. It was, of course, THE PEEPS STORE!!!!





This store is ALL about the springtime joy that is Peeps, and inside there were all sorts of peep-orobilia. Even the door handles were even Peeps.



Once inside, we were greeted with a GIANT Peep that stands in the middle of the store, with, dare I say it, Peeps “art” lining the walls.







Anything that you could think of wanting, there was a Peeps version of it: Golf Club covers, tshirts, hats, toys, cookbooks (ew), backpacks, pillows. The list goes on and on. And of course they also had Peeps you could eat. They had them in every color and shape, and even had 'chocolate covered ones.' I say this only lightly because I bought one, and it was definitely not at Peep. It was more or less your standard Easter marshmallow candy covered in chocolate. Just because it's shaped like a rabbit head and has a bright yellow inside does not make it a Peep. I would rather buy chocolate covered Peeps from the Amish market in Laurel, MD.







In addition to Peeps, there were other candies that were non-Peep. You could by paraphernalia for mike&Ike's as well as hot tamales candies. Both of them came in various flavors. Well...the hot tamales also came in flavors, but they were regular cinnamon, smokin’, sizzlin’, fiery, and blaze your face off. I don't really like hot tamales, so I wasn't terribly interested in trying any of them. I did think that some of the t-shirts they had were cute, though.

I know that at Easter, temporary Peeps stores will occasionally pop up in random places. I don't think that this was a temporary store, and from the looks of it, I think it will be around for a while. To bring in some more business, and to add on to the 'artwork' that they display, they should consider bringing in the exhibition of the awesome Washington Post Peeps-tacularartworks that people in DC create during Easter.

No comments: