17 February 2008

Greetings From Serbia - Kosovo Declares

At about 3:00 this afternoon Kosovo declared its independence and sovereignty. The United States and the EU are expected to recognize their move on Monday.





Not surprisingly, shortly after Kosovo’s declaration, Serbian prime minister Kostunica broke into most TV stations declaring Kosovo’s declaration null and void.

"Kosovo's unilateral declaration of a false state is the final act of a policy that started with the NATO aggression against Serbia in 1999," the prime minister said.

"Never has the truth about why Serbia was savagely destroyed by NATO bombs been more clear," he continued, and added that "NATO's military interests lie behind the proclamation of this false state."

"The United States have also humiliated the European Union, and forced it to trample on the principles it is built upon," Koštunica added, and warned that Europe, "which has lowered its head", will be responsible "for all the serious consequences that Kosovo's independence carries with it
." (from B92)

This evening on my way to dinner I came across a large group of men with Serbian flags, marching en masse towards what I presume to be the Slovenian embassy where yesterday’s protest was held. I do not think I have ever eaten dinner so quickly as the constant wail of police sirens and a text message warning me to stay off the streets made me nervous enough to not enjoy my tagliatelle al quattro fromaggio.

On my way back I pass by one of the main squares which was fringed with police to hold back the protesters. Elsewhere in the city were protests in front of the American embassy during which two policemen and several protesters were injured and McDonalds and several cafes got a bit banged up.


(courtesy B92)


(courtesy B92)


(courtesy B92)

The story right now in Kosovo is much different.


(courtesy The Washington Post)


(courtesy The Washington Post)


(courtesy The Washington Post)

Tomorrow I am confining myself to my hotel. Maybe it’s not entirely necessary but better safe than sorry.

No comments: